What do you consider to be a sincere apology? What does the person need to say or do that will make it possible for you to forgive them? I have discovered that there are five ways that people typically apologize. I call them the five languages of apology.
- Expressing regret. “I’m sorry for what I did.”
- Accepting responsibility. “I was wrong.”
- Making restitution. “What can I do to make things right?”
- Genuine repentance. “I don’t want to ever do that again.”
- Requesting forgiveness. “Will you please forgive me?”
Which of these is most important to you? That is your primary apology language. Why not share this information with your family and friends so they will know how to apologize to you.