Q&A: Emotional And Verbal Abuse

Q: I’ve dealt with years of emotional and verbal abuse from my husband and there are times when I just want out. What can I do?

A: I think when you live with constant verbal and emotional abuse, it does become extremely difficult. That’s why I would suggest that you see a counselor—you need someone to come along side of you and to give you ideas on how you can influence your husband. I wrote a book called Desperate Marriages, in which there is a chapter on living with a controlling spouse and another one on living with an abusive spouse. You can’t make him change but you can influence him.

So reading that book and talking with a counselor would be my suggestion on how you can either learn to cope with this or be a positive influence on him.