Q&A: My Husband Is Dealing With Depression

Q: My husband is dealing with depression and I feel alone in our marriage. What can I do?

A: Sometimes depression temporary; it’s called situational depression. Sometimes, however, it’s chronic depression that has gone on for a long time. I suggest, if it’s chronic, two things: First, do everything you can to help the person see a medical doctor because chances are there’s a chemical element by this time and medicine can help. Also, help him talk with a counselor who has expertise in dealing with depression. You’re right to be concerned and I hope you’ll help your husband take action because you can deal with this in a positive way.